Friday, October 8, 2010

Flashing - The Construction kind...

Kitchen window - God do I love black metal. When I have a ton of gold converted to millions of dollars, I'm gonna build a steel framed house with black steel windows.

For now, I'll settle on a few shekels to get me by.

The stucco plasterer recommended the flashing contractors. They did a super job of filling the corners. This detail is so worth the trouble. Kudos to my boss for suggesting every corner window stay "recessed" from the corner condition. It adds relief to the mass of the stucco. Besides, it's cool.






















Kitchen window - another sexy view.

















The living room window from the north.


Who the heck knows what one detail will do going forward?

So looking at this photo, I'm reminded that I wanted a 45 degree chamfer of concrete to protrude from the face of finish....Why!? Because I'm a sucker for fat footings and mass. The result is that the flashing contractors had to go over every instance of this chamfer and cover it with galvanized metal so that the stucco weeps would have a place to drip the water without having the water suck back up into the building. In other words, when you do this kind of detail, think of all the possible ways that water can do damage - and then just try to save some money and avoid being a douche bag of a designer with some cute design motiff.

I paid a few extra thousand of dollars for carrying this concrete chamfer forward - will anybody notice?

No comments:

Post a Comment