Sunday, March 21, 2010

Deep Breaths


They are supposed to do the first concrete pour this week. It has been more shocking seeing the trenches for foundation work than the original grading. This is the real deal. The wall will be THERE. We are also now in an area where there's a lot I don't understand, and I just have to trust that it's all as it should be. I am realizing how much scarier this would be if the architect weren't my husband and the engineer weren't my father. And if I didn't trust them. For example, Mr. Engineer comes out with doozies like this: "Vital that dowels, for subsequent vertical reinforcement, and anchor bolts, for sill plates and especially simpson steel shear wall bolts with deep embedment, are placed in foundation concrete." Huminahuh? This is where I have to stop being such a control freak and leave it to the experts. And it's gonna be great, I tell you.

2 comments:

  1. Of course you have to put the dowels and bolts in the foundation concrete. Duh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, sure, if you take out all the qualifiers it makes sense! I'm now also realizing how much less of the details I would be hearing if I weren't related to these people. It might be better that way. So I'll just plug my ears and sing lalalala.

    ReplyDelete